Friday, September 21, 2012

What's Making Me Happy This Week, Pt. 1

One of my favorite podcasts is NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour. It's a panel show in which four folks who work in various departments at NPR covering arts and entertainment discuss current events and other various and sundry topics relating to pop culture. It's very NPR, as everyone is generally polite and friendly, and the discussion is substantive and relatable. It's also a lot of fun to listen to the panelists bounce off one another, as this is a group of funny, likable people who know what they're talking about. One of their regular segments is 'what's making us happy' in which they discuss exactly that: which piece of art or life event is keeping them happy that week. And I thought that was a really cool idea, so I'll be doing it on my own here. I thought about doing it on a podcast, but then I realized how seriously self-indulgent that would be, so I put it on my blog. HUGE difference.

So, thing the first! This particularly charming music video from Ben Folds Five, 'Do It Anyway'. Featuring the Fraggles! I admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the Fraggles growing up for whatever reason, but I found this whole enterprise to be pretty delightful overall.



The other thing that made me fist pump and clap when I saw it was this campaign ad for a supreme court seat in Michigan. Featuring most of the cast of the West Wing IN CHARACTER, it's probably the best campaign ad ever produced ever.



As much as I do like 'The Newsroom', I do miss 'The West Wing' a lot, and this was a great little reminder of how awesome that was. Speaking of 'The Newsroom', I think Jon Stewart must have been watching it, because he and the Daily Show staff kind of went to town on the Romney campaign, as they are wont to do. However, this particular bit was significantly more pointed and well put together. When Stewart finished, I did start clapping, alone in my house. Which maybe isn't something I should admit to the world. Hmmm.

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Chaos on Bulls**t Mountain
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook

In terms of actual things I read/watched all the way through, I finished Joe Haldeman's 'The Forever War' this week, which was a thoroughly enjoyable, if slightly depressing read. Following the life of a guy born in 1977 through the 34th century, thanks to time dilation, it really highlights how you can never really go home again. Finally, I watched the latest episode of Dr. Who, 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship', which despite the very silly premise, was a whole lot of fun. You get to see the doctor in both extremes, from his manic wonder to his more cold, slightly vengeful side. Also, they ride a triceratops and there are two robots who seem to be channeling Douglas Adams. It's brilliant.

3 comments:

Chelsea Tibbs said...

I like this Pogue! I think I will borrow your idea. What a good list of things to make you happy! I especially love the West Wing ad. :) Happy Saturday, friend!

Tim Tibbs said...

Awesome!!! Now I can read your blog!! :)

Leather Bags Manufacturer said...

Faboulous!