Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A fun day skiing

About 6 months ago (March 24th, to be exact) I went skiing with my roommate, Debra, up at Big Bear resort in Big Bear, California. I had a good day overall, except for the part where I fell and separated my shoulder. Technically, what I did was fray my supraspinatous tendon, which is kind of a bear to deal with. (Get it? Bear? Skiing at Big Bear? I'll show myself out.)

So I just finished several months of physical therapy, building up the muscles around the shoulder to take over the functionality that I lost (which was essentially the ability to raise my arm up or put a shirt on without saying 'ow ow ow ow ow ow'), and I'm just about all healed up now, which is delightful. However, that's not the really good news. The really good news is that while I was traipsing about the mountain and falling on my face, I happened to be wearing a helmet mounted camera, specifically a Go-Pro, which captured every delightful second of my impact. The 'crunch' sound is both my shoulder and dignity taking a beating, just so you know. Please enjoy the added irony of hearing me tell a beginner skier who just fell on his face that he should try the other side of the mountain just seconds before I slam into the snow.

No comments: