Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fencing Recap 11/4/2010

True to my word, I'm putting these videos together in an almost timely fashion! This is only a week old! In any case, there are two 15 touch bouts recorded here, one against Dave Drake and one against Mike Perry. I lost both, but it's pretty instructive.



Points about these bouts:
1) My front foot is slipping a lot when I lunge. This is mostly due to a lack of commitment to the lunge itself, I'm letting momentum take me rather than properly pushing off my back foot.
2) In both bouts, I'm reacting a lot more than I'm making them react. I have really bad counter-attacking habit that doesn't do me any good since it's not aggressive enough to make them miss or disrupt their timing. Basically, it only works if they're going to miss anyway, which isn't something I can ever count on.
3) My flicks aren't landing, mostly due to the distance. There's too much windup in the arm, so I'm way too close by the time I'm extending again. It needs to happen in front of my body the whole time so that my feet don't wind up too close to my opponent.
4) Towards the end of my bout with Perry, Tedd told me to stop angling my hand and body to the left in order to hit Mike, which really helped overall, I made a bit of a comeback at the end.

So that's what I'll be working on tonight. Let me know if there's anything I missed in the comments!

No comments: