Sunday, September 21, 2008

A robot with no name . . .

So, by popular demand (from all two of you. And, okay, one of them was me), this week I did a robot, and in doing so, discovered several special things. One, soldering is harder than I remember. Two, when following instructions, it helps to get all of the proper parts. So I set up my little laboratory, and got to work.


So, following the tutorial, I ran into a few problems. One, I had the wrong battery casing. Well, that was about the entirety of the problem, as I could solder to it, or affix the motors to it, so I wound up creating a horrible monstrosity by comparison. Oh, and it also didn't work.

And in short order, with a few changes, I completed the basic model.


Then I tried to plug in the batteries, and it broke.


At this point, I figured out that I couldn't actually glue the motors on (as there wasn't enough surface area for the glue to make a strong bond), so I slept on it and figured out that I could glue on some balsa wood to make a larger surface to glue to. And thus was born this monstrosity!


And it kind of worked! It spun in circles! So I think all I have to do to make it actually functional is reverse the wires on one of the motors. But, naturally, it broke. And, in attempting to fix it, it broke even more. So I'm calling this one a bust for the time being and moving onto other things. Again, I will return! And perhaps fail less.

2 comments:

Cam said...

Me thinks you should go into sculpting, particularly a bronze bust of me for when I conquer a small but admirable latin american nation. I'm going to need something to display in my palace.

Ed said...

I suspect your bust would also have a flamethrower installed somewhere on it. Or laser eyes, whichever is more doable. Those I think I can do.