Sunday, September 14, 2008

Balsa Wood Plane: The Revenge

Okay, so the last time I embarked upon this quest, the results were less than auspicious. So I retreated for a while, to the realm of sewing and coming up with other ideas. But I eventually just figured that I already had the materials, I'd give it another whirl. Building off of the mistakes of last time, I made sure to assemble the fuselage and propeller before attaching the wing, and also giving the wing a higher aspect ratio, to make it more capable of gliding/getting lift. I also ran out of balsa wood rods, so I cut the frame of the wing out of a flat piece, which I think/hope reduced the weight significantly. So, at twelve inches long, with a twelve inch wide wing, I present the second incarnation of the Pogue Balsa Wood Plane.



So, after trying several powered flights in light winds, I found that it actually functioned somewhat better as a glider. And thus, after several attempts, there it goes:



I think this is going to be a recurring theme here, with different configurations and more complicated airfoils. Stay tuned! Next time: V-tail!

No comments: