Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Glider! Okay, the propeller just fell off.

I decided to make a plane, but this time with actual airfoils instead of crappy balsa-wood flat wings. I sketched out a pretty simple design, square wings and rear stabilizers, and set up a little assembly line.


Then I put the wings onto the previous plane I'd built, and gave it a try, and it turned out that it had a little too much lift, and would stall out really quickly. So I stripped those wings off, made some smaller ones for the rear stabilizers, and before I put it all together, I figured I may as well use them as canards to prevent the stalling problem. And it actually did stop it from stalling! It did not, however, prevent it from flying like a rock. Seriously, this thing followed a pretty newtonian curve, it was like high school physics all over again. And since I'd gotten impatient and used hot glue to attach the wings, I could not now remove them, and thus I was about ready to scrap it when the propeller fell off, and it turned out to be a pretty fair glider. Observe!


I'm planning to do this again with larger canards and a little bit more math backing me up. Then again, I think I always say that.

No comments: