Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fencing Video Breakdown

So this fencing recap video is a little different, as I actually took the time to examine all the individual clips and group them into something that's almost coherent. I broke it down into three basic actions, counter attack, long attack and ripostes, and then good and bad examples of each. I went through several hundred clips, which I eventually whittled down to less than a hundred, for a three minute video.



On the counterattacks, there's not much to say. I tend to succeed when I step into it with a my arm high and fully extended. I bring it back in to close out a lot, which isn't ideal, but it gets the job done. The failures are often because I'm not properly countering, but rather sticking my arm out while being run down, or because my hand is low and arm isn't properly extended.

As for long attacks, I'm landing when I've got the distance right and my hand in the right place. A lot of the time those two are linked, as when my arm isn't extended, I take an extra step in to make up the distance, which puts me in the way wrong distance to hit. Also, the most successful touches in this set are when I vary my acceleration on the attack, to draw a parry or force another reaction.

Moving onto ripostes, it seems I'm hitting when I properly disengage or feint past the first parry and then hit. I'm also hitting from prime (the top-down shot) a lot, which I need to clean up, as it's a bit of a desperation move. My lesser/lousy riposte moments come when I'm too close, or parrying in weird positions. It helps to keep the blade right in front of me so I don't have to bring it back into center to riposte.

Well, that's it! Stay tuned for more fencing fun!

No comments: